Eating our way around Costa Rica

I'm going to quickly touch on the Costa Rica bakeries, there are bakeries that are out of this world. All you do is walk in and put food onto trays and head to the lady and the counter and she adds up the price. so the other day Richard and I went into one and we brought massive amounts of baked goods, and I have to add MILK for 5.500 colonies.... $11. The ones directly below are sort of like a pie, one is filled with chicken and rice and beans the other is filled with rice and beans.



We went for lunch out near where we were staying in San Jose Richard ordered for me, I wasn't hungry however the meal came there was so much food on my plate, rice, beans, pork and on top was tomatos.  You could never ever find the bottom of your bowl.


Another item that has popped up a few times is patacones made out of plantains which look like a banana but are not a banana. "Straight from google" Fruit. Plantains can be used for cooking at any stage of ripeness, but ripe ones can be eaten raw. As the plantain ripens, it becomes sweeter and its colour changes from green to yellow to black, just like bananas. Green plantains are firm and starchy, and resemble potatoes in flavour.

Like I said these little things are showing up everywhere and are great with avocado. 

Another thing I have noticed that they serve potato chips on the side of most meals. Or corn chips. Nothing is wrong with that. I wonder if the kids are going to ask for potato chips with every meal when they come home. The kids are all trying new meals and different combinations, so far Boston is the most adventurous  about eating and trying new food. "He wants to eat all the fruit and eat his way around Costa Rica" He's doing a great job at it. He has been the last one to leave the table and trying all new food and old food that he has had before.

Now we are in Coco the first night we headed to a place call Coconuts for dinner, the kids had fruit drinks which pretty much are pureed drinks that you buy for maybe 25cents  all freshly squeezed and presented beautifully. Drinks are amazing, food is amazing. 

Drinks are cheap here there is no mark up. Cocktails, beer, pure fruit juice, very very cheap.




Also I forgot to mention that on the side of the road when you come up to a stop sign or red light, toll booth vendors run towards your car and try sell you  food or buy something, often things costing very cheap, bag of plantain chips or nuts or fruits. There are vendors everywhere selling food and baked goods. Its all very fasinating for us because I keep asking Richard, are they allowed to do this or is it against the law. Which it is against the law but the police turn a blind eye to it. They move on if you say no. It is also a cheap way to eat if you are on a road trip and you want a snack and you are thinking... some chips would be great right now... then someone comes to sell you chips... its like magic. 


At the beach-Dani-5th of June🐟🐠🦈🦎🐟

We went to the beach with our gear and went down the path. We saw a squirrel and an Iguana! Then when we got down to the actual beach we saw three Iguanas! And right by a lady's spot!
Then we ran to the water and put our noodles under us and swam out with our goggles on and we saw lots of little fish close to shore. Then Noah and my Uncle pumped up the paddle-board and Noah rode on it in the water and fell off. Then my Dad found...A REEF! I paddled out to him and looked under the water and I saw the most amazing sight! Hundreds of fish where underneath me and when I first saw it I took a huge gulp of water in by surprise, so not a great way to meet a reef!
But still, it was amazing! I had a great day! Except when I got stung by a jellyfish on the foot. OWW!πŸ¬πŸ πŸŸπŸ”πŸ‘
Bye for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

leaping stingrays and monkeys